December 19, 2020

Today I gave the instrument a good tuning before it was disassembled for painting. Here’s a last look before the case is painted:






Here are the three choirs of wooden jacks:





Here is a closer look at one of the jacks, very historically accurate.  It is placed on the top of my virginal which is painted in the two colors I will use on your instrument:






Here is a look at the full soundboard before I covered it with paper to protect it during the painting process.  






Today I fitted the stand to the bottom, drilling the holes to receive the pegs on the stand:


Then I gave all of the surfaces of the case, the lid, and the front board a good sanding before I applied a coat of primer to all of the surfaces that will be painted.  The primer is a think chalky paint that I will sand smooth tomorrow.